Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Kardashian Syndrome

Bad human communication leaves us less room to grow.
Rowan D. Williams

Let’s be honest: we all have little things that drive us totally and absolutely crazy. For my brother, JT, it’s getting in the car with me, and I throw my purse on top of him (I may do that on purpose…). Right now for my mama, it begins and ends with the same person. For others, it could be that person scrapping his fork across his salad plate or the person chewing, mouth open so all can see the chicken Caesar salad bits. It’s that little (or big) thing that makes you wanna open your mouth and scream while twirling around the living room on one leg and shaking your head.

For me, it’s a lack of communication. Ironically—or un-ironic depending on how you look at it—I am very open about this fact. I tend to tell people that I don’t appreciate that he/she can’t take 30 sec to email me back or 5 sec to text me back.

**Distinction: this is in reference to those people who NEVER respond back to an email or a text or who quit a text conversation halfway through the conversation. Those people.

I mean seriously, how long does a quick email saying, “hey, really busy, will email soon!” take (I just timed it; it took me less than 20 sec) that would at least let the person know that you care enough to respond. And that right there is the problem: we have become so self-obsessed with ourselves that taking moments out of our busy lives to email and/or text with friends can seem like “too” much.

Let's be honest—have you ever gotten an email from a friend and thought, “I’ll get it in the morning…when I have time” or received a text message and got so wrapped up in whatever was going on in your life that you never responded? You know you have. When did we become so obsessed with only one person: me, myself, and I?

I like to call this the “Kardashian” syndrome where a person becomes so engrossed in the moments squarely in front of them and that centered on only them that the person is unable to acknowledge that there is life outside of him/her self. I suppose the Kardashian klan might argue against my definition of self-absorption; however, if you watch any part of their TV shows, you know that the Kardashian’s are self-obsessed (anyone see the several different episodes where Kim can’t even have lunch with her sisters without texting on her blackberry?).

When dealing with someone suffering from the Kardashian syndrome, you come to a crossroads where you must decide if the friendship is worth continuing. You question how many times must you send an email, a text, another email before you are done with being walked on by a “friend?” And so, you do your best to dust off your hurt because deep down you know that a friend that lasts through the fires and glories of your life would never intentionally ignore an email or a text (or heaven forbid ignore a text conversation half-way through the conversation). The Kardashian syndrome can grab even the purest of souls, and it takes a mighty person to squash it.

Having moved around a bit, I am hyper-aware of media communication. I am blessed to have made friends at several different stages of my life, but that are spread across the country (including Hawaii), which means several different time zones. Text messaging and emailing have replaced daily/weekly phone calls, but nevertheless still keep you engaged with the person and can keep you in the know about what’s going on in your friend’s life. And sometimes receiving a well-intended text or email from a far-away friend is exactly what you need on a cold, dreary morning.

Obviously, I have made witness a frustration of mine. A good friend of mine jokes with me that she knows (!) to always answer my texts because she understands how it bothers me. But key word there is a GOOD friend. So, perhaps the actual question lies in just how good of a friend is it that can let an email or a text or both go for days, weeks, months without so much as a simply acknowledgement.

Communication is at the heart of all life: even dogs can learn up to 350 different words and commands (a fact that I constantly keep proving true with my Trini-luv). Yet, as the quote above suggests, without it, there is no room to grow or rather no way to go forward. Communication between friends takes more than one person and both parties must be willing to give up a minute or two in order to keep it alive.

So, the next time you are quick to think, “I’ll get to that when I can…” just resist the urge to let the Kardashian Syndrome take hold...and respond. Your friend will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment