Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Girl with the Knit Toboggan

Today, as I sit sipping my Dt. Coke in front of a crackling fire, I shift through Piperlime’s “Top 11 Fall Fashion Must-Have’s” lingering on a MINKPINK red maxi skirt and wondering if I could pull off a maxi given the I’mkindashortthing. I then move to hiker booties with heels—totally cute. I’m particular fond of a Boutique 9 pair and Heart and Soul pair, though at $89, the Heart and Soul pair is the more reasonable buy. But I only linger on the different pieces of fall; I don’t linger for too long because then I would want to buy something.

“When I shop, the world gets better, and the world is better, but then it's not, and I need to do it again.” Rebecca Bloomwood

I love fashion. I love shopping. I have loved fashion and shopping since I was very young, and my mother is to blame. She introduced me to fabulous world of fashion with white and pink dresses that had matching white and pink socks, shoes, and jewelry. She also, year-after-year, pointed me in the direction of honing my own style by encouraging me to mix things up with things like thick hunter green flannels with dark bootcut denim or neon green Sketchers or Victorian-like black booties worn with jean skirts and/or black capris or sparkly lip gloss with flecks of glitter before any of these were considered “in style.” My college roommate met me for the first time wearing a belly-bearing green FUBU shirt and white shorts. Twelve years later, she still remembers that outfit. We all have our own individual style, even those who maintain they don’t. We gravitate toward the styles we like--those which make us feel alive when we wear them even if that means throwing on whatever is nearest to you when you roll out of bed. I strive for maintaining my own look whether it’s wearing five bold bangles (when two might have been just fine with the outfit) or bright blue tights with a short black dress. I’m not a crazy fashion-forward kinda girl, but I do appreciate owning my style, which someone once described as “sorta-but-not-really rocker chic.” I’ll take it.

“You’re a professor…you must make what like $80,000…a $100,00??”

I come from a family of shoppers: my dad, I believe, could shop me under the table. Seriously. I think this has helped me learn to become a killer window shopper. I can go into store after store and try on clothes just for fun. I tend to play a game: if I had XX amount of money, what would I buy and why. I also really love going with people as they shop because I like styling them. I like to believe that I have left a profound and positive styling effect on some of people that have come into my life. Take my cousin, J(G)S, who is president of Neenah Paper. She has to look professional from H2T daily, but I’ve seen little bits and pieces of glitz show up on her (i.e. leopard print flats or hot pink silk scarves). Or my good friend SG. She recently sent me a going-out picture where she was rockin’ sky-high black strappy sandals (she is over 6 foot and when I met her swore she would NEVER wear heels!). Or take my friend, LR. When I met her she was all about the basic color palette and hated shopping. At a graduation party, she rocked a beautiful print dress with gold heels (that she found herself!). And last, my mom, who was my muse and now lets me pick out her outfits. I tell her all the time I’m never going to let her go out of style…she’ll be the best dressed 90 year old. If this professor thing doesn’t work out, I’ve often thought about becoming a stylist. Just call me Rachel Zoe (only the real-life size. I could not eat for months and still not be that tiny).

I recently had a conversation with another graduate of FSU who had a similar thought as me: with her first “real” paycheck she was going to splurge and buy something like a Coach purse. Reality check came when my first “real” paycheck entered my bank account. I immediately called HR. The conversation went something like this…

“Uh, hi. I’m a recent hire at DU, and I think something is wrong with my paycheck.”

“Congrats on your recent hire!”

“Um, ok thanks.”

“So what seems to be the problem with your paycheck?”

“Well, there seems to be an awful lot missing from it.”

Chuckle (I wanted to jump through the phone and give him my best eyebrow arched, death stare). “Ok, well let’s take a look here…The federal tax is….”

And so on. The conversation concluded with me saddened by the reality that my paycheck would always be $1000 less that what I actually make given the amount of taxes and benefits taken out. No, there was nothing actually wrong with my paycheck. Someone forgot to tell me that once I ended my life after a graduate student (in the state of Florida), my paycheck would also reflect my real-life status. Not going to lie…it’s scarier than I thought. Also, please remember my dear readers (especially those of you getting ready to graduate soon), moving cleans you out. Moving across country even more. It takes a couple months to fully recover (I’m still in that phase). I didn’t give that enough credit either. So, you have to decide what’s most important to you and what’s not. Food wins out right now (although pop is #1, JT and I decided years ago when we first lived together that no matter how dire the situation, we would also have pop), which means no couch, TV, desk, cable, internet, or bed. When I tell people that most are like, how can you do it without a bed?!? Honestly, the bed doesn’t bother me as much as say a couch. You don’t think about how much you use a couch until you don’t have one. The couch is like the mecca of a home; it’s the safe haven that you can curl up on and snuggle with your dog; it’s where you can sip on some Dt. Coke while reading PeopleStyle; it’s the best place to take a power nap; it’s where the list-making happens. So, yes, not having a couch is worse than not having a bed. It’s the first thing that I’m going to buy. The very first.

Things I’ve learned or re-learned in the last two months about shopping, specifically grocery shopping:

1. Count your pennies and use them. I have no qualms about counting out pennies for groceries. JT got slightly embarrassed the last time we were grocery shopping, but the kind check-out lady was like, “honey, it all amounts to the same when I count it out at night.” Totally true.
2. Make a list to go grocery shopping and buy things that last a long time. We happen to be big cereal eaters—cereal taste good at any time of the day.
3. Treat yourself to something you truly do enjoy—this way it doesn’t feel like you totally depriving yourself. For JT and me, it’s Dt. Coke. We always, always have it.
4. Go through the grocery store and put everything in your cart. When you’re finished find an empty spot, and go through what’s in your cart deciding if you truly need it. We always find about $20-$40 worth of stuff that we don’t actually need.
5. Don’t be embarrassed about living on a strict budget. JT struggles with this more than I do. Perhaps it’s because I’m older, and I have lived longer, but I figure as long as we have something to eat for each meal (even if it’s a cup of Ramen) then we are doing better than a lot of people.

I like to think all my years of shopping and window shopping combined with coming from a line of shoppers has actually helped me live on a strict budget because I’m always looking for a good deal. I get excited when Dt. Coke goes on sale 3 for $9, or I find a good cheese for $4/lb.I must confess: when my first paycheck was securely in my bank account, I went to Urban Outfitters and bought myself a present. I decided that since it was my first real paycheck in my first real professor job that I could splurge ever so slightly. I bought myself this super cute knit toboggan (that’s a hat for those you not from the north) that I had been eyeing since I moved to Denver (so five weeks). It was $26 and some change. It’s no Coach purse, but buying it made me feel giddy and when I put it on, I know that it was my first purchase as a professor. I kinda like that.

1 comment:

  1. I like posts where people talk about money b/c I so often do and I feel like I'm a complainer/whiner. I appreciate knowing how other people budget; I'm a strict one who sometimes lets loose. :)

    ReplyDelete